Home Firm Overview Attorneys Practice Areas Resources Contact


General Information about Family Law

A. Public Adoption
A. Traditional
B. Private Adoption
B. Common Law
C. Transracial Adoption
Premarital/Prenuptial Agreement

Intra-national and International Adoption

E. Single Parent Adoption
A. Grounds and Fault
F. Summary of Adoption Procedures
B. Annulment
Child Custody and Visitation
Alimony, Spousal Support and Maintenance
Child Support
Division of Property
Domestic Violence
A. Equitable Distribution
"Contact an Iowa family law lawyer representing clients in Dubuque, Iowa today to schedule your initial consultation."

Child Support

Child support is court-ordered funds to be paid by one parent to the custodial parent of a minor child after a divorce or separation. Generally the amount of child support is based on each parents’ income, number and special needs of the children, and the expenses of the custodial parent. Child support may also include health insurance, school tuition or other expenses.

Child support payments are due at a certain time every month. The paying parent can make the child support payments to a child support registry, which will then send the payments to the custodial parent, or can have their wages garnished meaning the child support payments may be withheld from their paycheck. Child support laws vary from state to state, but Iowa and Illinois do not require an accounting for how child support money is spent.

Most generally, to obtain child support, you must request an order for support from a state family court. This can be done through a state agency or a private attorney. The court will use a set of guidelines to set the amount of child support paid if the parties are not in agreement of the amount. Iowa and Illinois use different formulas to calculate the percentage of net income payable for child support. There are also different worksheets used in the calculations depending on the custodial arrangement. Parents who share custody are sometimes allowed to waive the payment of child support if their incomes are similar. Otherwise, the parent earning more money will still owe some support. For details on whether you are entitled to child support, and whether an attorney should be involved on your behalf or not, contact Teitle Law Offices.

After child support has been established, either parent may seek a change (increase or decrease) in child support at any time if a substantial change in circumstances occurred after the court entered the order. To ask for a change in child support a person can go through a public agency or a private attorney. State agencies have guidelines about which cases they will accept for modification, and must also follow specific procedures, which in some cases can result in delay or frustration. However, states have certain resources which are unavailable to private attorneys for information gathering and enforcement. An experienced family law attorney knows how you can make the best plan for your individual case.

Even if a non-custodial parent is not paying court ordered child support, the custodial parent can not interfere in the visitation schedule. In the same sense, the paying parent (non-custodial) can not stop making child support payments because the custodial parent is not in compliance with court ordered visitation schedule. These enforcement issues need to be addressed in court, and you should consult your family law attorney for advice on how to handle them.

By way of example, if a non-custodial parent does not pay court ordered child support, he/she can be held in contempt or prosecuted for failure to support, therefore being taken into custody and remanded to jail. A driver’s license and other licenses can be suspended, and/or tax refunds can be seized.

If the biological parents were never married, they both still owe the child financial support. In some cases, the person named as the father denies paternity and requests a DNA test. Once paternity of the child is determined, an order for child support will be entered.

hild support generally terminates when a child turns 18 and graduates from high school, or becomes self-supporting. Both Iowa and Illinois have laws concerning college support which may apply differently depending on whether the case is a divorce or not. Iowa has set a one-third cap for parents based on the cost of attending an in-state public school, while Illinois continues to allow the court wide discretion depending on the financial circumstances of the parents and child. Call us for more information on any of these topics.

Back To Top
If you would like to schedule a initial consultation contact an Iowa family law attorney, representing clients in Dubuque, Iowa at the Teitle Law Offices. Give us a call at (563) 345-4100 or email us at info@teitlelaw.com.
  Estate Planning / Probate
  Business Law
  Family Law
  Personal Injury
  Real Estate
       For Sale By Owner

  2550 Middle Road, Suite 604
  Bettendorf, IA 52722
  Phone: (563) 345-4100
  Fax: (563) 345-4111

Dubuque, Iowa Attorneys offering a broad estate planning / probate, criminal law, family law, guardianships and adoption, juvenile law, medical malpractice, motor vehicle accidents, personal injury, real estate, for sale by owner, trucking accidents, and wrongful death. Lawyers at the Teitle Law Offices office are dedicated to represent clients in Eastern and Central Iowa, including the cities of Davenport, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Muscatine, Clinton, Maquoketa, Tipton, Dubuque, Ottumwa, Wapello, Burlington, Waterloo and the communities that make up Scott, Johnson, Linn, Mucatine, Clinton, Jackson, Cedar, Dubuque, Wapello, Louisa, Des Moines and Blackhawk counties. We also represent clients in Central Illinois, including the cities of Rock Island, Aledo, Cambridge and Morrison and the communities that make up Rock Island, Mercer, Henry and Whiteside counties.

Home l Firm Overview l Attorneys l Practice Areas - Estate Planning - Business Law - Family Law - Personal Injury - Real Estate l Resources l Contact l The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Photos courtesy of the Davenport Public Library Special Collections.
© MMIX Teitle Law Offices Address: 2550 Middle Road, Suite 604, Bettendorf, IA 52722 Phone: (563) 345-4100 Fax: (563) 345-4111 Email: info@teitlelaw.com
Iowa Family Law Attorney Dubuque Divorce Custody Alimony Child Support Dubuque County Lawyer
   Web Design By JAKOBIE   
Family Law FAQ's